In the library, ask at the Information Desk for the World Book Encyclopedia. Older volumes of encyclopedias circulate, but
keep in mind that for topical information, some of the information in older volumes may be no longer accurate.
Useful Stuff for Term Papers
- Primary Search
provides full text magazines for elementary school research.
- Kids Search
- Student Research Center
- NoveList K-8 Plus
- NoveList Plus
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
- Points of View (current events)
- Academic Search Premier
- Biography Collection Complete
- Online databases
- Workscited4u Bibliography help, input your book, article or other information and it will display your bibliography. (MLA style)
- The Owl at Perdue - Online Writing Lab Bibliography help, MLA or APA and more.
- NoodleTools Express. Free help in creating bibliographic citation (MLA or APA) for print and online sources.
- Great Books Online. Internet publisher of literature, reference and verse, unlimited access, full-text, free of charge. Includes fiction and nonfiction. Among the titles are: World Factbook, Roget's Thesaurus, Oxford Shakespeare, Gray's Anatomy, books by H.G. Wells, Tolstoy, etc.
- Bartlett's Quotations. If someone famous said it, you'll probably find it here.
- A Guide to Writing Research Papers
- APA Style Manual (official website). Including tips on how to cite electronic resources. Also available in print at the Reference Desk.
- MLA Style Manual. Also available in print at the Reference Desk.
- Chicago Manual of Style
See inset for more information on where to look up information in the library!
- Literary Reference Center
- Scribners Writers Series (Infotrac)
includes essays authors and literary genres drawn from the acclaimed Scribner print series.
- Contemporary Authors (Infotrac)
Provides complete biographical and bibliographical information and references on all of the more than
U.S. and international authors whose entries appear in Contemporary Authors and Contemporary Authors New Revision Series.
Updated monthly, Contemporary Authors allows users to search for an author by name, title of work, nationality, date and place of
birth and death, subject/genre, personal and career information, awards and honors, and more.
- Literary Criticism (Salem Press)
Critical Insights: Authors; Critical Surveys Long Fiction
- MY Rocket Book.com. Requires free registration
- Shmoop, Poetry and Literature.
- Ebscohost Literary Reference Center
A comprehensive literary reference database providing a completely full-text database that combines information from
books and monographs, major literary encyclopedias and reference works, hundreds of literary journals,
and unique sources not available anywhere else.
- Sparknotes Free critical discussions of classic literature, drama & poetry
- Scribner's Writer's Series includes biographies of authors' life and works, In-Depth Search (customize a search by genre, gender, ethnicity/nationality, time period, and language),
and Research Ideas (view topics with a highly selective, curriculum-related list of writers to use as research starting points).
- Internet Public Library Literary Critism.
- Shakespeare. Shakespeare on the web, a poetry game, Today in Shakespeare History...
- Perspectives in American Literature
- SAC LitWeb
- Enotes.com : Video & Study Guides to Classic Works of Literature
Book reviews can provide information on certain books, especially for newer popular fiction that may not
be covered in more traditional reference material in the library.
Libraries and Library Reference
Reader Advisory (What do I Read Next?)