The Bloomfield Public Library houses a variety of materials chronicling Bloomfield as well as New Jersey history and genealogy. Some of the material is
in the Reference area, but most is availabe upstairs in our Special collections area. We are currently working on digitizing a lot of our special collections.
Oral History: Interviewing Relatives
The Bloomfield Obituary File
Gives citations for obituaries in the Independent Press and Bloomfield Life, the two Bloomfield weeklies. An invaluable source of relatives names and citations on
people who lived in town or nearby.
- Search online NJ.com obituaries: Includes Independent Press, Star Ledger,
- Search online North Jersey Obituaries: Including Herald News, Star Ledger, Record....Can narrow to town, can also expand to Nationwide.
- Obituary File 2005-2012
- 1973-2005 in progress is currently handwritten on cards in Special Collections.
This will be online as it is digitized. Currently Available for last names beginning in A,B, C...
- Bloomfield Gazette: Sept 7, 1872 - Jan 1873
- Saturday Gazette: Feb 1873 - Oct 1875
- Bloomfield Citizen: Feb 1873 - 1913 (incomplete)
- Bloomfield Record: 1873-1893
- Bloomfield Mail: 1933- 1935
- Bloomfield Home news: Jan 24 – Feb 28, 1935
- Essex Enterprise: Oct 10, 17, 1936
- Bloomfield board of trade bulletin May 1912
- The Independent: April 11, 1891 – Aug 22, 1891
- Bloomfield Life: 1985-1997 (Microfilm), 1998-Current (Paper),
- Independent Press: 1891 - 2004 (microfilm), 2005 - current (Paper)
- Proquest Historical newspapers: NY Times ((1851-2008). Login with your library card number required through BCCLS.
- Jersey Journal Historical Archives from Newsbank, Free Trial . In Library Use.
High School Yearbooks
Located in Special Collections and begin in 1903. There are gaps in the collection. Call us if you find an old one you don't need!
- We have yearbooks in house, 1903-2007, incomplete. Please donate if you have one!
- Bloomfield High School Yearbooks As you can see, some of the pages have been damaged or vandalized. If you have a yearbook at home that has a portion we are missing, please scan and submit it to us! We'll add it to our online collection.
- Some Bloomfield Yearbooks online (classmates.com register for free and search)
Biographies of Local Residents
Historic Photos in and around Bloomfield
- Special Collections: Cemetery Files
Included within are copies of what is in Special collections. The following booklets: Bloomfield and Montclair Cemetery Inscriptions before 1880, Bloomfield Cemetery Walking Tour 2001 (has bios),
Gravestone records from the Brookdale (Formerly Stone House Plains Dutch Reformed Churchyard),
Dutch Reformed Church, Old Methodist, Indian Burying Ground, Gravestone Records from the Brookdale
(Formerly Stone House Plains Dutch Reformed) Churchyard, Burial Records from the Old Methodist Burying Ground.
- Special Collections: Soldiers: Soldiers at Brookdale, Glendale, Mt Olive, Bloomfield cemeteries
- Glendale Cemetery
- Bloomfield Cemetery from Findagrave.com
- Mt Olivet Cemetery on FindaGrave.com
The Bloomfield File,
located in the Special Collections room, has numerous pieces relating to
Bloomfield history. This file contains biography files, files relating to
industries in town, information on notable local families, industries,
religious institutions, organizations, history, schools, etc. It has an
index to it's folders and some of the entries in the file.
on Bloomfield history can be found at the Bloomfield
Historical Society Museum, located at the the Bloomfield Public Library above the Children's Division. Follow the link for more information on the
Historical Society Museum. Two other sources for Bloomfield history are the New Jersey Historical Society
and the New Jersey Room of the Newark Public Library. See below for other resources regarding local history.
Research for residents who live outside of Bloomfield is performed for
a fee. The research fee is $5 and the photocopying fee is $.25. Additional amounts
may be assessed depending on the complexity of the request (to be determined by the
Supervisor of Public Services). Call the Reference Desk at 973-566-6200
or email the Reference Department.